Monday 20 April 2015

Beat the Rain, wiljen ;-)

19/04/15 Day 33, Sunday, Agde to Montpellier, via Sete, 62kms (wet). 15degC, windy all afternoon, head on 20km/h. Rain, rain and more rain.

I woke up in my cozy sleeping bag at 7.15am, turned over & looked at Jenny. She was still asleep. I was in great need to use the unisex toilet so I wriggled into some pants and struggled out of our 3 person tent. On the way to the toilets I noticed how ominous the sky appeared. It looked like the rain was only 30 minutes away. Before I proceed with the next part of our day I just need to tell you all there was NO Fucken toilet paper left on the wall near the hand wash basins.... Always carry toilet paper or gum leaves people !

So I got back to the tent and with some Urgency I woke Jen up and we quickly packed our gear, there was about 3 minutes work left and the rain started. Jenny kept packing as fast as she could and I started running with what ever I could carry to the Laundry... No Oz style campers kitchens in France, friends.

Two hours of sitting in the outdoor (but with a roof) laundry was fun, we made coffee, had HCT French rolls & planned our route to Montpellier.

GPS Dave was excellent today and the coastal route he guided us along would have been fantastic if the sun was shining. After 20kms the rain was pelting down so we sort refuge in an on the beach tent, cafe thingy these places are expensive, and are mainly for clubbers. I don't think they were even open but they took pity on us & served us coffee. 11€ and 4 cafes later, onward we proceed....

The only other notable point was us having lunch & coffee under a bridge like a couple of Straya Animal Hobos, while it was raining.... Big day and a good effort by team wiljen under trying conditions. As we reached the campground in Montpellier the sky's opened up with avengeance . I bet you can guess what we are doing now :-) beer/wine.


We just made it to the dry security of the campground Laundry/Wash area, as the rain started.

The real story behind this pic, Jen was on the road I was on the cycle path, huge kerb so
I stopped to assist Jenny with lifting "Black Betty" over it to the safety of the path.

20km beach run, fantastic, we were cruising along between showers at 25km/h.

The closed Beach Club that let us hide out of the rain, 4 coffees later we were headed for Setes.

We ride through Setes and Jenny is so busy checking out the view she hits a bollard & stacks it.
I'm all concerned, spectators are just watching the antics & all Jen can say is I'm ok take a photo.

Using Madam Google to double check Direction Daves calculations out of Setes.

Setes, France, nice looking place, but we want to keep moving before the next storm.


The rain begins again, so we seek refuge under a bridge, good time for a coffee & food.

Horses watching horses....strange.

We have about 5kms to go until we reach the Campground Montpellier Plage, can we beat 
the incoming storm. We'll sort of the rain started when we were 300mtrs away. By the time
we were sorted in the camping bungalow it was torrential.

Home for two nights 110€ total plus a 350€ bond. We must have looked like the Rowdy 
Biker Type Party Animals from Straya, Mate.

Not a bad days effort, 62kms ride & we managed to dodge the majority of the rain. Tough
Job but someone has to do it to keep you all amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment