Friday 6 March 2015

I know it's too early, but I've started the count down. ..

OK, I have started counting down from 11 not 10, but I am too excited and nervous to wait another day. We are preparing all the last minute stuff and we are trying to finalize our responsibilities at home.

Some of the things we have done:
- Make sure all bills are emailed
- Make sure all bills are paid up to date.
- Service and clean all vehicles.
- Organize lawnmower man.
- Research destinations and camping and cycling regulations.
- Download lots of apps for things like Maps, budgets, languages, cycle route tracking.
- Sort out finances and investments.
- Secure house sitter.
- Have haircuts.
- Have health checks and then fix health issues.  Ross River isn't too bad,  so far manageable,  Will's eye situation is improving with drops,  good news, I have had a mole check and two fillings and everything else is great.
- Bought new bright coloured shirts,  and new shoes and bike shorts.

Seems like heaps,  and it is. We still have a couple of things to do, and purchase.

Yesterday we did our first ever service on our Rohloff hubs on the bikes.  I read the instructions out loud and we each followed them on our own bikes.  All was going smoothly,  seemingly easy.

Attaching the syringe for taking out the oil

Starting to take out the old oil.
So far so good. Cleaning oil in, 1km riding and gear changing done, and old oil out.  I had to go to get my mole checked, so left Will (who had finished his bike successfully) to put the new oil into my hub.  No problem!
I really hate mechanical stuff....not my thing!

Upon returning home I found this:
Just in case I wanted to bust it out for a quick spin....yeah right.

What the hell happened here?  Will comes to meet me, as I come in the door, to explain.  He was trying to get the new oil into the syringe and spilled about half of it.........ugh! We have no more, and not enough to complete the service........aagghhh.  But he has ordered some more, which has to come from the UK, no less, and has to make it here before we pack up the bikes for the flight.  Come on, really?

Never mind, means I can't do any more training until we get the oil........so don't blame me if I slow you down Will!  I will be able to use this heaps...ha ha ha.

140mm x 80mm x 20mm (is it big enough?)
So we have scored one bike box from Mandurah Bike Man, our local bike shop, and will pick up another one tomorrow.  80% of our gear and bikes need to fit into that box and not weigh more than 32kg.  Challenge accepted.  So when you see us in the same clothes everyday, know why.

So that is 11 Days To Go. And I am counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment