Wednesday 23 September 2015

Another Tough Battle

21/09/15 83km East of WA Border to Nullarbor Roadhouse 107km


Our camp was a nice quiet place, when we woke up. Some little birds busy rushing around from shrub to shrub, and no wind. We got up and organised, ate our muesli (oh my god, I don't like that stuff), and hit the road. After my poor showing yesterday, we knew we had a big one, but I just thought in baby steps. I'll just get 20kms, then 40kms and eventually I'll get there.


No Emus or cows out here in SA? 


I found myself struggling for momentum again, and wondered out loud to Will, if I might need some air in my tyres? Any excuse that would mean it wasn't just me. So we stopped, checked them and put a couple of pumps in to make me feel better. Hhhmmph, ok, let's just keep going. Wasn't too long before we came to the viewing area with "The" trophy shot of the trip. So we rode in all the way to the photo spot, which was full of grey nomads. After lots of photos, chats and laughs (at us), we carried on down the road some more.


There it is guys, The Trophie shot of our Great Australian Bight


Looks like Will is giving a talk to these Nomads, about the scenery......?


What he was actually saying was, who can take a decent photo of us geeks?


The winds were a bit more south westerly, and not very strong, but we still struggled to get much over 15kms/hr. Just after forty kays, we stopped for lunch, and to rest a bit. I am so loving our little Helinox chairs, they give us a nice comfy break and are so easy to get out and put away. After about a half hour break, it was time to get moving. Being on South Australian time, was doing my head in, as it was already after one, and we had so far to go. We could have camped out again, but I really didn't want to.


A convoy of old cars heading west. Just one of the fun things you could see.


Here I was, going back to the old, 10 more kays, then see how you're going. I thought, if I can get to 20kms to go until the roadhouse, then I will be able to get there, it's not worth camping. So it was head down, and just keep the legs moving. Every now and then, lift your bum off the seat for a junk jiggle, then shake your left arm, then your right. Gee, this could be a cyclists version of The Hokey Pokey!

At about 65kms, we spotted a water tank at a rest stop, so good excuse for a break and top up the water supply. Unfortunately there was no water, but we sat and ate our box of BBQ Shapes. Some kind caravaners offered us some water, and told us the Nullarbor roadhouse was only 20kms away. Huh, you must of nodded off mate, it is 44 kays away, but we've got enough water, so thank you.


No water in this one, so just eat some shapes and take a break.


Back to the, " just 10 more kays", and slowly but surely we were getting closer. We both needed one last break before we gave it everything we had, so stopped along the real Nullarbor Plain, where there really are no trees, and had one last pep talk, psych up, and to really get us there, some beef jerky. That should do it. We had 14 kays to go.


Beef Jerky, this had better do the job.


So we got on the bikes, oooh sitting down again is difficult. Bit of junk jiggling and bicycle hokey pokey, and finally we saw the big blue sign of happiness. Gee, I really wasn't sure I'd get here today, but I could actually see the roadhouse, 5 kays away, and the road turning directly into the wind for the final 2kms. Huge sigh, pedal, pedal, big deep breath, fuck, pedal pedal, sigh, pedal, huff, pedal, then......Oh My God, we made it! How many times have said that now?


Lovely Big Blue sign of Happiness.......


Woo hoo hoo hoo, these roadhouses are just awesome.


Getting off the bike was hard now, but drinking that cider wasn't. I was happy to tent it, but Will booked us a room (very nice, so we can spread out and charge everything, top up water, and have a real toilet to ourselves). We had a great meal in the restaurant, another drink each, then relaxed in our room. Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement, I hear them and they help me when it's tough. 

The body does what the mind tells it!

No comments:

Post a Comment