Monday 21 September 2015

After a Day Off, The Work Begins

20/09/15 Eucla to 83km East of WA Border 96km


We had an awesome rest day, doing the usual jobs, reading, and not much else. Will did check out the little museum (it was free), and had a walk around the town. Yes, there actually is a town. About 30 houses, Police Station, Nurses Station, and the whole town runs off generator power. They all have to collect their own water. The hotel staff were nice, especially Helen, who looked after us. A nice relaxing day.


Gardens at the back of the hotel. Amazingly lovely area.


Today started like most others, with brekkie, packing and all that usual stuff. But with a great difference. Ray Pokai! We'd received a message from Ray last night, as he had just arrived in Eucla, on his bike of course. He'd been told we were here by another crazy guy blogger, and so he'd contacted us. We'd replied to his message, but he'd passed out exhausted after his big day battling the winds. So as we were getting ready to leave early, he came knocking on our door. So we had a great chat, a couple of coffees, and hopefully we'll meet again in Ceduna. He has a crazy guy blog, and his own page http://thaitoaus.blogspot.com.au/, if you want to have a look. His photos are amazing.


Meet Ray, everyone! A really nice guy, with an amazing story, not to mention tall.


So we started trying to get away super early to get the good winds before they changed, but enjoyed our meeting with Ray, and got going by 7:30am (WST). It was pretty cool, with a SSW blowing moderately. I was both excited and nervous about this next section, with the WA border only 12 or so kilometres away, I was really happy to have ridden across our huge state. Just as we were getting to the checkpoint to get our exit visas stamped, it started to rain. I didn't want to get wet or to stop, so I reached behind and grabbed my rain jacket that was strapped onto my bag, and using my right hand and my teeth, got it on. Woo, we made it through the border, (nothing to worry about going out of WA, just coming in) and went into the roadie for second brekkie. 


A nice rainbow while we again try to outrun the rain.


Finally going to reach the edge of Western Australia on our bikes.


They just let us out, but don't try gettin' in, mate you need a visa!


Just in time for second breakfast.


As soon as we road out of the roadhouse, the South Australian road had no shoulder! Not a small one, NONE! The verge looked ok, but actually was soft, stoney and scary. Straight away, the traffic was more scary, mainly because we had nowhere to go when there was two way traffic, and the vehicles didn't have as much room to give us either. 


The real Nullarbor Plain coming up. 


A very long straight, rolly prolly road coming up.


Shoulder? Not even a whole white line! Ugh, tough!


We detoured into the viewing areas for the trophy shots, and chatted to lots of caravaners. Some going East, some West. All of them giving us lots of encouragement. I was starting to feel like I really needed it. I was finding myself falling behind Will, and really struggling to catch up. He was a good 3kms/hr quicker than me, and constantly having to slow down. It was making me a bit upset, and every time a truck passed us, it really blasted us. Oncoming ones would slow me down by at least 2kms/hr, which just made me worse.


It wasn't the best weather, but still a very stunning view.


That little giraffe is Nonuts, he just can't be missing out.


The kids waiting for me to finish my "emergency" stop, if you know what I mean?


That is not the best viewing platform, but still cool.


I think that was the closest I got to Will all day.


Lunch stop trying to get out of the wind. Salami sangers and a comfy seat.


A quick stop to top up our water from this tank. Not for drinking, cooking.


The wind was changing direction a bit, and gusting into our side. It took a lot of effort keeping on the road, as sometimes the white line disintegrated into the proxy verge, that was waiting to bog me down and destroy me. Add to this the trucks, constant convoys of caravans, and my nerves were wearing down. It was exhausting. My knees were really starting to hurt, with all the pushing, and my bum hurt, but I think I was just mentally done. We had hoped for over 100kms today, but we came to a rest area and I was ready to stop. 


Windy, cold, but quiet. Nice fire Willsie.


Nonuts and GoneNuts......


I am disappointed that I didn't get to 100kms today. My body could have, but my mind couldn't.

Tough Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment