Tuesday 12 May 2015

Cow Bells and Cuckoos

10/05/15 Gudo to Chiggiona

59kms today, uphill. The first 50kms were easy. The last 9kms we went from about 350mtrs to 670mtrs. The burn, oh the burn.

Yep, we were woken this morning by none other than the notorious Cuckoo bird. So cliche, but so bloody annoying at 5:30am. If only I could spot the little barstard, we could of eaten it for breakfast. Instead, we had to ride nearly ten kays to find a cafe, in Bellinzona old town (amazingly beautiful, with a ripper old castle), for cold coffee and quiche. Worth the look though.

The Old Town square in Bellinzona. Market day too, not quite open.


Castle Grande, looks awesome, but we're not going in, got somewhere to be.

From there, we headed through more rural farmlands, where the very pretty cows were wearing the very clichéd cow bells. Visions of the sound of music flashing before our eyes. We were gradually headed uphill, but we were so distracted by all the amazing views, that we didn't really care that we were only going about 10kms/hr. We were swerving all over the path, as our heads were zipping left and right to try and see everything. Snow on the mountains ahead, waterfalls right next to us, flash cars (Bugatti Veyron) zooming past, and the most amazing mountains I have ever seen.


Trying to get closer to that snowy mountain. God knows why, snow is cold!

Along the path, we rode past a fenced roadside stop area, with a toilet, I was in need. It was very clean and neat, as we now expect in Switzerland. I took toilet paper just in case. I opened the door to the first cubicle, and .... Whoah Nelly! it's a squatter! Yes folks just like in Asia, only Swish! A big square porcelain base, same as a shower, with a hole in the middle, two large feet shaped raised platforms, hopefully the right width for my squatting position, a large rail to help me get up again on the right, and a smaller one on the left. Ok, job done, now what do I do? No hose, or bucket of water and ladle, just my deposit and paper (I got most of it in the hole) looking up at me....hhmmm! Oh, there is a button. I pushed it, and all these jets of water shot out into the basin, which was great, only it didn't stop and water was coming over the rim closer and closer to me...not again? At least I could open the door and shoot through this time. I walked back to Will, shaking my head and laughing to myself, always me with the crazy dunnies.


Old villages, full of cute little houses and churches, surrounded by mountains.

So we stopped in Biasco for lunch, at a City Stop, at a servo, it's a restaurant and little shop thing. It had good food, beer and free wifi. We thought it might be our last chance for food on a Sunday, so ate and bought supplies. Everything else we'd seen today was closed.

Trying to navigate back to route 3, was a bit tricky, and we did get a bit disorientated, for a little bit. What's a few more kms between hills, hey? We're so busy checking the views in front, that when Will has to turn around, probably to make sure I am still coming, his face was enough to make me stop and turn around. So many Wows!


We've been so lucky with this great weather, hope it lasts.

Getting closer to that snowy mountain.

Snow melted making waterfalls everywhere.

That sign is telling us there is a communal defibrillator here, that's not a good sign.

Following Will's 30% rule, and filling our water, it is hot and we've drunk 2L each already.

We were so amazed with everything today, that we were chatting away like a couple of old chooks, dribbling shit, making up sayings that would make a good t-shirt, laughing and being silly. That was until we got to Giornico. We really hit the inclines here, up about 100mtrs every 1.5kms. My legs would keep turning those pedals, but my throat hurt with the effort of sucking in the oxygen, and trying not to spit on myself breathing out.

Going up a bit quicker now, but the worst is yet to come.

That is the super highway above us. Totally freaky, and amazing road.

We were coming close to Faido, and our only chance of a camp ground, and honestly, I was shot. Nothing left in the tank. So we turned right off the Route 3 cycle trail, towards Chiggiona. Then Will says, let's take this road, it looks quicker? I say, nope, it's not even on my map and I just want to get there. So off we go through the fucking cow poo paddock, in first gear, uphill, push our bikes up seven stairs, ride 300meters up another hill, and find the best campground yet.

View is looking back where we came from. So beautiful, look at this grass!

Best view ever, nice manicured grass for our tent, three steps from the bar, and the pool is a lovely 25C, if you want a swim.....nope, just a bloody big beer, thank you!

Here's Will, working like a dog. His life is tough. Check out his cyclists tan.

Oh, and free Wifi in the tent. Nice. So tomorrow we have 18kms, 400+ mtrs to get to Airolo, which we were aiming for today, then The Gotthardo Pass (1000mtrs up in 13kms). I am allowing for a stop over in Airolo, as I think the Pass might be a whole day event. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment