Wednesday 16 March 2016

Bill & Will's Tassie Tour, Part 2.

Bill & Will's Tassie Tour Continues...

Part 2.

15/03/16 Tuesday
Eaglehawk Neck to Swansea

Mainly just driving today. As we left Mason Cottages at 9.30am, we tried to find a shortcut across to Orford, but both attempts went from bitumen to wet slippery dirt roads, with about 40kms to Orford. We didn't want to get the hire car, that sits on 18 inch low profile tyres, covered in mud.

So we drove to Orford via the main road that past through Sorell again. After driving through a scenic gorge area, we arrived at Orford & stopped for lunch. Then our next quick stop was to check out the Spiky Bridge built by convicts in 1840's.

 Orford the drive through the gorge here was great.

 Spotted this in the Mercury Paper, now I know why the Internet is so bad in Tas.

Hummmm how will this turn out, I'm thinking.

Lots of winding roads to negotiate.

I walked the famous Spiky Bridge (Circa 1840) Bill drove it..ha..ha..ha !

This Bridge has teeth.

About 40kms further on we arrived at the coastal town of Swansea. It was nearly 2pm, and we discovered that affordable accommodation options were very limited. The Bass Sea Cable has been damaged so the Internet kept dropping out (even on my smart phone that runs off Telstra), so we opted for the Swansea Backpackers.

 Swansea Backpackers, nice place, "You Buy ?"

Our room, I had to make the beds, but Bev gave us the sheets for free....thanks.

Me getting my ass kicked.

Take that Willsie, that's how it's done my boy !

Sometime yesterday Bill lost his right Hearing Aid, which is nearly new, so he is quite pissed at himself about that....

I searched the car & rang Port Arthur & Mason's Cottages to no avail. 
"You checked your jacket, didn't you?".
"Yes, yes" was Bill's reply !!

I went to our room to give Jenny a call & thought I'd check his jacket myself. Low and behold, guess what I found. Ah the relief....

Good display in the Bark Mill Tavern, Swansea, how to kill a Tassie Tiger....yeah righto such a loss ?

The day was finished off with an excellent Sea Food Platter at the Bark Mill Tavern.

16/03/16 Swansea to Launceston, via Bicheno, St Helens & Scottdale.

The Swansea Backpakers were pretty good. Managers Bev & Tank were nice, friendly & helpful. They tried to sell me the Backpackers for $1m (yes seriously, possibly worth it). Sorry guys weather in Tassie means it's not worth that much to me, and Internet is super slow !!! Still, thanks for looking after us, see you again in the next 12 months ???

It says: "Weird you Get Lost You Find Yourself". so true !

Where's Willsie (I took a zoom shot on the old Nikon Cool Pix).

Off Bill & I head, along the north east coast of Tasmanian, great rugged views. The Old Man doesn't like to stop much, but I managed a quick look and walk around the awesome Port at Bicheno, a nice coastal town.  Around this time, Bill jumps into the drivers seat of the 210kw, 6 speed auto,  Holden Sports Wagon. Away we go !!!

Nice spot.

The Port at Bicheno.

It's ok Bill can still drive, he's just a little cautious in town.

Now readers I love my Dad, and he drove very well (nearly as good as me), most of the day. Bill if you read this forgive me, but this is an anecdote that shouldn't wait until the distant future, well after your legendary passing.

Ok readers, TODAY my Dad is driving into St Helens, on the N/E Coast of Tasmania. No issue so far, apart from the fact we are doing 30km/h along the main street (which speed limit varies between 50-60km/h) with at least 7 cars lined up behind us. I just slink lower into the leather trimmed, contoured passenger seat. The car behind us finally loses patience, and just starts tooting their horn vigorously. Now Bill is pretty deaf, and doesn't hear any of it. I'm laughing, but for the sake of everyone's sanity, get him to pull into a Fuel Station.... The fun didn't end there. Which side is the filler point ? Only took 2 dodgey manoeuvres, before we're all cool. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm the one dealing with it !

Now the reason we are driving so slow is, Dad finds it difficult to interpret "Destiny" (wiljen's Garmin GPS). The Holden GPS is probably ok,but I don't want to spend the time learning it. He doesn't know where he is headed without my interpretation of the gizmo's. Next it's;
"Gee Will you spend a lot of time on that Phone, you're addicted!"
"Well Dad I'm booking our accommodation on Booking.com".
"That's not how you do it Son, you just go into the nearest Pub and ask for a $50 room". 
"Sorry Old Boy times have changed". 
Times have changed a lot over the last 10 years, try to keep up as best as you can, life is hard enough.

We stopped for a quick beer at The Pub in the Paddock ! raining....

The rest of the day was an excellent drive. Hilly, windy, and exciting. Great for cycling or motorbiking. Wow, it was cool in the crumby* Holden Sports Wagon. Bill drove very well. Memories of his taxi driver days. We had a quick stop at Scottsdale, where the local Bakery served up the BEST chunky steak pie I've had in a long time... Yummo !

Not long after, we arrived into a busy Launceston, and found our Digs for the night. The Penny Royal, which is part of an old water mill established around 1840.

Built in 1840, we are staying here, Launceston Tas.

What you looking at Bodgie !



"How hard is it !"

Finally we receive sustenance !

*I'm a "Die Hard" Ford, Toyota & Chrysler fan...Sorry GM fans, no offence intended, quite an enjoyable drive in the Last of the Big Aussie Sixes.

No comments:

Post a Comment