Tuesday 9 June 2015

Out of My Zone

06/06/15 Kingsdown to Canterbury, 42kms

After a great pub meal, and a few drinks, we should have had a good sleep, but the campground was busy with weekenders, and a couple of groups of young guys carried on until the sun came up. Luckily, I had my ear plugs, which helped me get some sleep.

We got up and going pretty early, and followed the NCN1 through Wolmer, Deal and Sandwich. Who names these places. We stopped at a little sea side cafe for some breakfast, which was awesome. There were heaps of people out walking dogs, as it was sunny and warm. There was a breeze, but not too bad.


Leaving Kingsdown on the NCN1 route.


Oooh, real brekkie, what to have?


Typical English seaside view.


What the hell is this on my bike? Davo? How did you get here?


Will had decided it was my turn to have Davo GPS, and lead the way. He wanted me to see how difficult it was reading Davo's stupid squiggles. Gees, the pressure. The navigating I think I can handle, but being out front, well that just doesn't feel right.

Luckily for me, the first half of the day was pretty straight forward, and the GPS was following the NCN1 nicely. An easy ride along the seaside, until we came to Sandwich. It was a busy little place, with a car show and some Saturday markets, and the old town narrow, one way streets.


So far so good, I'm looking for signs rather than at Davo.


Nice, they put on an old car show for us. We live old cars.



I had a couple of issues reading Davo, but we managed to get through there. On the other side, Davo directed us off the route, along some gravel track, along a dingey old waterway, where a whole lot of gyppo boat people were living, and where the track ended in a paddock full of sheep. Huh! One of the "residents" told us the track along the creek used to be good, but was now washed away, and it was about 8 miles long. Nope, too hard, we turned back and followed the major road until Davo recalculated.


What The Bloody Hell? I don't think so, mate!


That was about 5km we did for nothing, and now we'd lost the NCN1. So we followed Davo's route, which was on some back roads, and there was quite a bit of traffic. The roads were rough on the edges, with lots of hills (not huge ones, just slow going) and being in the front, I was feeling the pressure of getting up them quickly so I didn't slow Will down.


Nice little back road, can't see much, but it was good.


Will, on the other hand was thoroughly enjoying himself at the back, just chilling out and checking out the views, just like I should be.  I did get a bit stressed out, and didn't enjoy the riding that much. It was a good day, and it wasn't a huge ride, but I was out of my zone, I like following Will, and trying to keep up. My job is to plan the route, research our destinations, and double check Davo, not lead the way and direct us. That is Will's job.


Oh, yay, my job for today is almost done.

But, we arrived in Canterbury in time to have a late lunch/early dinner, and look for somewhere to stay. We'd passed the campground, a few kays out of town, so we could always go back if necessary, but we don't like doing that.  The town was packed. People everywhere. We walked our bikes through the high street, and finally found a pub where we could park our bikes, sit (and keep an eye on them), eat and check out accommodation. They had no Wifi, so good old Maps.me showed us a couple of guest houses close by.


Old town lanes full of people and shops.


The High street. Wow it is busy.



We walked around the corner to Tudor Lodge B&B, and they had one room left. No shower, only a bath, as the tank is at the same level and the water pressure is not good enough. It is over 400yrs old, this house, and very cute. Mohammad and his wife, Marzi own it, they are a lovely couple, and work very hard.

We got sorted, and just lazed around in bed reading and resting, and having a bath. Not to mention the view from our window was of the amazing Canterbury cathedral. We didn't have dinner, and we went to bed at a reasonable time. The town was busy and noisy, but it didn't bother us too much.


Will is feeling like a giant again.


Our gorgeous view. Awesome cathedral.



No comments:

Post a Comment