Friday 28 August 2015

Are You Bloody Serious?

28/08/15 39kms

After a great deal of hoopla and big talking, we made no more excuses and had everything packed and ready for our departure today, come rain, hail or shine (not likely). My bike shorts never showed up, so I suppose they'll be there to welcome me home in a couple of months. Just means I will have to be onto washing my pants and coming up with some genius ways to dry them in the rain.


    
               So, here we go again. Check out the new shiny Ortlieb front bags.


So, up and atom this morning, early, and out of the house almost on time, just waiting for a light rain shower to finish. The bikes felt heavy, seems like Will and I weren't the only ones to have put on some weight. We pedalled our way out of South Yunderup and into Pinjarra, with only one Transperth bus not giving us any room. Two empty lanes and they didn't give us an inch. But we arrived at my mums' house just as it started to rain again, so we put the kettle on and enjoyed a last taste of her famous home made Anzac cookies. The rain was getting heavier, so another cuppa and put a couple more bits of the jigsaw in, and it cleared up.


    
          Heading out of South Yundie on the cycle path, and drizzle.


 
Our route takes us up that bloody Dwellingup hill again, and I have not forgotten how it nearly killed me on our Mundabiddi trip. The screaming thighs, the lack of oxygen, and almost vomiting from exhaustion. So if we are seriously going to ride to Dwellingup again, surely we can cheat? What if we do it unloaded? I've lost my fitness, I've found my fat, and I don't want to feel like that again. Of course we can, Mum can drive our gear up, and we'll still ride, compromise. Nice.

So after unloading the bikes, we cruised around to Wills' dads (Bonza), to do one last job for him and say see ya. Then as the sun was shining, we took off out of town.


    
             See ya Bonza, take care and play on that IPad.



The road is pretty busy these days, and doesn't really have much shoulder. A couple of Harley Davidson riders came past loudly, one gave us space, the other, being a total tool, passed so close I could have pick pocketed his wallet. Dickhead! Tosser! A-Hole!


    
          The flats before the hills, you can just see them in the distance.



The rain looked like staying away, and before I knew it, we came to hill number one. It's not so bad, third gear all the way, (last time I got up it, just, but stopped to get some desperately needed oxygen, and swore many times, probably even spat on myself accidentally) then carried on up the next one. Wow, it is amazing how the Swiss Alps has helped my hill attitude. I just talked to my legs, and told them to just keep going and we would get over the hill eventually. And we did. No walking, and no swearing, and only the slightest bit of huffing. But a break for drinks and a small celebration was allowed.



    
           Made it up the first two ok, I know what is around that bend....ugh!



I was feeling a bit tired, and the next hill was the killer last time. It is steep and windy, and dangerous with not much shoulder, and guard railing. I got half way up it, but needed to catch my breath, then carried on to the top. Woo hoo, thank god that is done. But from there, it is a steady climb for about 5kms. Will was doing a great job, and was quite a way ahead of me, pumping up the slope. I was running out of steam already. This is without gear? Are you serious? Bloody hell, I need to just keep riding, no more parking up at home, even my dodgey knee was complaining.



    
    If you squint, you can just see Jenny coming up that hill. Come on girl, I'm waiting.



    
        Almost there Jen, you can do it! Breath, pedal, breath, pedal.....



About 5kms from Dwellingup, Mum passed us, my Dad waving out the window, and we reached the top of the climb. Hallelujah! So we found a bit of energy, and pushed it out to find our support vehicle parked up at the town entry. We made our way to the caravan park, chucked our gear in the chalet, and went to the Blue Wren Cafe for food. I was really hungry. 



    
       Yay, we made it again. There is our support vehicle, waiting. Good one!



    
                            There they are, Mum and Dad, with all our crap! 



I was dreading that ride, knowing it would be raining, the hills, and my lack of fitness, but we got here again, had a great steak burger, last good chat with my folks, then said the farewells. Thanks support crew, you got me through it. For tomorrow, we're gonna get wet. But, hopefully we can get away early and get to Boddington before the big rains in the early arvo. Fingers crossed people, and we're on our way at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment